Stressed about your next writing assignment? Need a second pair of eyes on your writing?
We are glad you are here!
Come meet one of our professional staff and work-study students who will help you think critically about your writing so that you can plan, write, and revise more effectively.
We are attentive readers who serve as a second pair of eyes to make sure you communicate your ideas clearly and concisely.
During your one-on-one sessions, our consultants will have an in-depth discussion about your work and help you meet not only your short-term goals (having an improved paper), but will also attend to your long-term objective of becoming an analytical thinker, confident writer and effective communicator.
What the Writing Consultants Can Help You With
- Any writing assignment, including essays, reflection papers, research papers, opinion papers, etc.
- Brainstorming and choosing a topic
- Formulating a thesis statement
- Drafting and revising
- Grammar, punctuation, and word choice
- Organization of a paper
- Clarity, cohesion, and coherence
- Integrating source information
- Citing sources, plagiarism, and APA Style
What the Consultants Cannot Do
- Write for you
- Act in place of your instructor
- Proofread and edit for you
- Provide ready answers
- Serve as writing experts
- Guarantee error-free writing or a perfect paper
- Promise high grades
- Perform miracles
Why use the service regularly?
Think of it like going to the gym. If you go once, you get some quick results: a one-day workout that keeps your body energized for one or two days. If you want to witness long-term results, you need frequent visits and professional guidance from a coach.
The Math and Writing Center is a space designed to help you exercise your mind. Attending one session will help you achieve only short-term goals. Visit the Center regularly, and you will start improving your skills that will help you become a more effective writer, a more insightful thinker, and a more persuasive communicator.
How to make the most of your consultation sessions
- Don’t wait until the last minute. Plan to visit the Center well in advance of your deadlines.
- When booking an appointment, be specific. Help our consultants serve you in the most effective way.
When you come to a session, bring with you:
- Assignment instructions
- A printed or electronic copy of your work at any stage in the writing process
- Questions about the assignment or writing in general
- Your notes, outlines, sources, and related readings
- Your smile!